…You stumble upon the fact that blood makes a good egg substitute and you decide to blog about it.
Not grossed out yet? Then keep reading.
So, in an effort to get in the Easter spirit a little bit more I went searching the internet for quick and easy chocolate related recipes today… because while I love my go to chocolate cake, I didn’t just want cake. Turns out, my go to chocolate cake is easy as to make and I can do it in my sleep… so all the other fabulous recipes I found today will have to wait.
However, in the course of looking through all kinds of chocolate recipes I also stumbled across why blood is a good substitute for eggs.
The answer? It’s full of protein.
Of course, if you are squeamish at the sight of blood you might be better sticking to banana or apple sauce as an egg supplement. But I found it fascinating all the same.
So, now that you’re thoroughly creeped out, I’m going to share with you one of the easiest chocolate cake recipes I’ve found to date. My kids love it!
Chocolate Cake Recipe
• 1 cup self-raising flour
• 1/3 cup cocoa
• 1 cup caster sugar
• 1/3 cup butter (softened)
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
• 1 teaspoons of vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 24cm cake tin and set aside.
2. Place all ingredients into a bowl and using a mixer, mix ingredients together on high for 4 minutes.
3. Pour into cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the centre.
Alternatively, if you’d rather cupcakes, this recipe will easily make 12. Just bake for 15 minutes at 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
Chocolate Buttercream Icing Recipe
• 100g butter, softened
• 2 cups soft icing mixture, sifted
• 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
• 2 tbsp milk
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until pale and fluffy.
2. Add the icing mixture and cocoa a little at a time until fully incorporated.
3. When this is fully combined add the milk and the chocolate buttercream will become light and fluffy.
So, what on your menu for Easter? Anything special? Share in the comments below!